Wednesday, May 18, 2016

deserts & manure

JMJ
AMDG
There are two passages I've come across lately in my Bible reading that have really stuck out.

So I will allure her; I will lead her into the desert and speak to her heart. (Hosea 2:16)

A man had a fig tree growing in his vineyard, and he came out looking for fruit on it but did not find any. He said to the vinedresser, "Look here! For three years now I have come in search of fruit on this fig tree and found none. Cut it down. Why should it clutter up the ground?" In answer, the man said, "Sir, leave it another year, while I hoe around it and manure it; then perhaps it will bear fruit. If not, it shall be cut down." (Luke 13:6-9)

I think what this means is that it is sometimes necessary for life to suck.
I think what this means is that sometimes actual crap is what is necessary for our conversion and for us to turn to God.

It is an uncomfortable truth, to be sure, and rather a strange one.
He says, So I will allure her, and we think of pleasant times, of romance and sunsets and hours in Adoration where everything *feels good*--but then He continues, I will lead her into the desert and we aren't so sure anymore and WHAT IS THIS I WANT OFF.
But then He speaks to my heart. And to your heart. And that makes it worth it.

Because the desert is not the end game. The desert is not the point of life. The desert is a part of growing up. The desert is the spiritual equivalent of your awkward fashion phase in middle school. It will pass. It may take a while. It will pass.

The point of the desert is not to make you miserable. The point of the desert is to quiet your mind so that you can hear His voice again.

When He says I will hoe around it and manure it we get nervous. We want to hold onto the weeds in our lives, the little sins that are slowly choking us to death. We want thin soil, because it is safe; because it doesn't smell or feel uncomfortable.

But He knows best, and so sometimes it is necessary for stuff to stink. Sometimes we need hardship to develop the skills that lie inside us.

But remember: the point of the manure is not for it to be awful and painful and lead you to self-loathing. The point of manure is to help you grow. The point of the manure is for you to bear fruit.

And let's also remember that a good gardener does not wildly fling animal dung at his garden like WHOA YEAH LET'S MAKE A MESS IN HERE I BET I CAN COMPLETELY COVER THESE PLANTS WITH THIS MANURE. A good gardener analyzes the situation and gives a plant what it needs to grow. Sometimes that's manure. Sometimes it's more sun or more shade or maybe it needs to be watered.

And besides, this will not last forever. The last lines of Hosea chapter 2 are as follows:


From there I will give her the vineyard she had,
 and the valley of Achor as a door of hope. 
She shall respond there as in the days of her youth, 
when she came up from the land of Egypt. 

On that day, says the Lord, 
she shall call me "My husband" 
and never again, "My baal"*

Then I shall remove from her mouth all the names of the Baals, 
so that they shall no longer be invoked.

I will make a covenant for them on that day, 
with the beasts of the field, 
with the birds of the air, 
and with the things that crawl on the ground. 
Bow and sword and war 
I will destroy from the land, and 
I will let them take their rest in security. 

I will espouse you to me forever; 
I will espouse you in right and in justice, 
in love and in mercy; 
I will espouse you in fidelity, and you shall know the Lord. 

On that day I will respond, says the Lord;
 I will respond to the heavens,and they shall respond to the earth; 

The earth shall respond to the grain, and wine, and oil, 
and these shall respond to Jezreel. 

I will sow him for myself in the land, 
and will have pity on Lo-ruhama. 
I will say to Lo-ammi, "You are my people," 
and he shall say, "My God." 
(Hosea 2:17-25)

God bless. I'm praying for you.

*baal: lord/master

No comments :

Post a Comment